Sunday, February 4, 2007

nana vs grandma

i have a few diclaimers i must make. i don't really dislike my mother in law. i hope no one got that notion from my previous posts. she is real cool peeps or should i say i loved her pretty much until it came to light that she may have or may not have said some very unpleasant things abt me. i don't even know if i should go there. well u'all should know the jist from a couple of blogs ago.

but really she is nice, christian american and a nana. yes nana, not grandma. i'll make the distinction shortly. now i will take her any day any time rather than any of those meddling loud, arrogant , controlling nigerian mils out there. i have heard horror stories so i will be the ist one to say mines ain't half as bad but here is something i have come to learn though,

nana vs grandma nana: looks and feels like a grandma, except:
1) the grand kids can come visit but be sure to pack ur children with u when u live. no drop offs, no i gotta run to the store real quick.

2)when the baby's diaper is wet or soiled comes to wake u up to come change the diaper cos nanas don't do diaper duty. hey 4get midnite duties too. lady flat out disclaimed nursing babies in the middle of the night. she had her younger sisters for that

3) gets mistaken for the baby's momma.

4)drives a sport car instead of a family car

5)hangs out more than your teenage brother.

6) too busy travelling the world n enjoying retirement.

hmm i really shouldn't hate. wouldn't any one like to have the perks of a nana? i'ld like to say oh i will be so grandmotherly but if given the option, shoo if i worked hard, i should be ablt to play hard when retirement comes abi? just might take the nana route. pretty tempting but u never know. what about u?

5 comments:

Remi Fagbohun said...

YAY!! I am almost never first!! Too busy and I havent quite figured out the big deal either!

Oh well, I would take a civilized NANA any day!! My MIL is very nice (considering all of our dealings are from afar- we have NEVER met)
we shall see what happens when we meet.

In regards to MIL's remember that as your also a mom, your job never really ends...no matter how old you are, you always think /worry/want to advise your children.
Think about what you would do for your girls at 20,30,40...you get my drift?? It will let you feel a little better towards her.

suburbannaijamom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
suburbannaijamom said...

bluntremi, were is ur mil from? is she nigerian i mean? i betshe is dieing to meet u though

Remi Fagbohun said...

Yes o - she is VERY Nigerian!!
But she doesnt like to travel and we havent been to Naija since we got married.

Confused Naija Girl said...

first time on your blog. I saw my blog on your blogroll. I didnt know you visited mine!!

Anyway I wont pretend like I know anything about mother inlaws but I have heard horror stories from my aunties. But she doesnt sound too bad though......