Monday, January 29, 2007

third world

have u ever been called nigga b4?

i have but tobe quite honest, it did not bother me as much. my great grandparents/ grandparents weren't slaves or brougth over to the united states on a ship. quite to the contrary. my grandfather payed for a plane tickect that brought him here. even though it still stricks a cord becos of course in the context in which it was used in was meant to be degradign or demeaning. it came from one highly ignorant old wht man who felt he was insulting me. shoo it rolled of my shoulders like water. i ahve every right to be here as much as u do. abi u forget that we r both not of this land. ur whit ancesotors were thieves that stole the lands of the poor indians and drove them into camps on their own land. but i choos enot to get into this right now cos boy wil it be a long one.

funny enough the times that i have actually been offended by ignorant remarks were from my own brothers and sisters inthe sense that we all probably share ancestors. regretably so i mean african americans. bloody africans, stink holes, jungle animals. even the dump questions so do u'all live in trees, or wow how is it leaving in jungles with all those with animals or do u reallyhunt for ur food. yeah dumb ass, i chill with lions in the backyard of my fathers mansion in lagos.

anyways the remark that has pissed me off the most actually came from a family member yes oh!

now lets ff to the day my brother inlaw sat on my kithcen stool at my island n told me that i was soo 3rd world. did i get ru attention yet? n he goes on to say somethign like oh my mom has already warned me abt this , i am not going to say anythigns else. ok am lie hold up what did u say ur mother said. and of course now that he ahs realized that he has just stirred up some shit,he goes to say oh no she didn't say anything i was just rambling. i wasn't upset nope i was just simply outraged. needless to say i blew up n hubby didn't even now what to say or do. he just quielty walked upstairs called his mom n told her she ahd better start finding another accomodation for her son.

i won't leave u'all out. soemthing must have happened to prompt him to say that. well as my memory serves me, hubby wa trying to have a converstion with his brother abt somethings that were just fundamental when u r leaving with someone. i had requested that hubby just lay down the rules which were simple
1)keep ur rm clean or atleast tidy. i don't go in there anyways but don't have it that we can't even walk past the door without coverign our noses cos of stench
2) abeg, i don't have any maid n i definately did not sign up as one so please wash ur dishes after u use them. don'tleave them in the sink for days n tell me oh, i planned on getting that later
when u see me doing them. i clean up after 3girls all day trust me i am not lookingto add anothe r child to the list
3) take out the trash in ur bathroom when it starts over flowing.

this is all that hubby had said just to ensure there is no conflict.he knows how much smack he has to endure when he doesn't simply put the toilet seat down but thats another story. anyways so his brother proceeds to say "oh if i have to take out the trash then she (meaning me) should stop putting diapers in them. thats so third world. i mean only third world people put diapers in the trash.

now mind u, he is using my girls buddy bathroom. both his rm n theirs share the bathroom. when they wake up inthe morning, the first thing they do is take of their wet diapers n put them in the trash can in their bathroom. i stopped letting the girls use the tub or if i can help it the toilet in there. its always filthy. i just let them use mines

so what if i can't afford diaper genie or they they weren't any, the where will the diapers go? i guess since we are on the third world subject, wil wrap it up in a bag n hurl it over the fence, not worrying about on whom or where it lands.

so i just sya to him. forget it, i'll make sure that i buy the girls another trash can n i will empty theirs if u r going to be that petty.

ever since then, i have kinda distanced my self from him n his mom cos i can not help but wonder what it is they say behind me. sorry but i have a big thing against people who smile at ya but say something else behind ur back. even thought he mom got to learn about the situation n called assuring me that she loved us all n would never say anything bad about me especially behind my back. but unfortunatley, the die has been cast, the seed has be sown, i can't help but be weary.

some people may think whats the big deal but abeg to me it the statement was quite up there with a white man calling a black man nigga or boy. but each man to his own. all i can say is i hardly talk to the boy anymore. thank God he finally moved out on his own.( i told my hubby not to ask him to leave after the incident. haba don't turn me into the wife that sends all her inlaws packing)


third world indeed.

2 comments:

Omara said...

Loving your blog... It's good you did not send him packing and it's even better that he knows where you stand. He won't be opening his mouth and spouting out rubbish in a hurry!

suburbannaijamom said...

yes oh! he learnt his lesson big time. shoo i still don't believe my reaction on that day. i really went off. even my hubby was scared. but i am glad i did not let him leave that day. u know how it si b4 they say "his wife did not let his family stay with them